Thursday, November 24, 2005

Back in London

- I'm exhausted! Need another holiday.

I did very little in France even though I couldn't relax as much as I would have liked. My mind was on Monday's rehearsal and Tuesday's Manchester Gig.

I ate a lot, drank a lot, went for a bike ride, went for a run, watched a lot of sport on the TV, went to great antiques fair, went out for a 5 course meal at a French Restaurant. French Restaurant in France? Whatever next...

All in all I had a really good time and it was good to see my little bro. He speaks French!! He spends most of the time with a childminder because my Dad and his wife both work. He'll eventually speak English as well I suppose. He'll be spending Christmas in London so It wont be long til I see him again.

On Monday we flew back and landed at 7pm. I had rehearsals at 9:30pm. We did our best to get back in time but I ended up making rehearsals at 10:10pm. There was no one at the reception desk so I didn't know which studio my band were in. So I put my ear to the door of each studio until I got to this room where there was a top funk band with just drums, bass and organ. I stopped and listened for a bit and then peered my head round the door. It was my boys. Funk band? We'll be doing weddings next. We worked on the new song, tightened it up a bit ready to debut at the Manchester gig.

We left for Manchester at 1pm Tuesday in a 15 seater mini bus we hired. Everything was going alright until we saw the sign 'Manchester - 36 Miles'. It took us 3 hours to do those 36 miles! The traffic was murder. Very frustrating. So we arrived late and quickly did our soundcheck then jumped straight back into the minibus to go and check in to our hotel, scrub up and change etc. We then got back to the venue just as the band before us, Serotonin, were finishing their last song. We were on!

I broke a string in the 2nd song. I don't have a spare guitar because I smashed it up at the marquee back in September. So I had to use Giles's Telecaster. This was annoying because a Tele sounds really different to a Les Paul and I'd only rehearsed the new song on the Les. I was thrown off track a bit. Then I broke a string on Giles's guitar! I did this in 'Bullet', which is second to last in our set. I think I could have done the last song, 'Do It For Me' with 5 strings but Giles noticed the broken string and quickly said "That's It! Thank You! Goodnight". Lights went down and DJ started playing. That was it!

The guitars were in a cold environment all day in the back of the van and then in the backstage (kitchen) area. Then up on stage the temperature was very hot with the lights etc. I don't think the strings could cope. They were brand new strings and the guitars have been set up recently. Has anyone invented a heated guitar case? Now there's an idea.

After the gig I finally relaxed. Got on Vodka Sodas and enjoyed myself.

Me, Steve (Bass), Alex (Drums)

Click Here for more Manchester pictures

3am came and we had to take the gear back the hotel. We accidentally stole an acoustic guitar that belonged to another band. We've left it at the hotel in Manchester. Hopefully they'll get it back.

Got to sleep about 4am and then the alarm went off at 7am to get back to London. We had to get the minibus back by 12 otherwise we'd have to pay for another day. We got back at about 1:30pm. Traffic was bad. Traffic is getting worse in Britain. Pointless roadworks everywhere. The M25 will be 50 lanes wide before anyone's happy.

We're playing at The Halfmoon in Putney on Saturday. This is about as local as it gets for us. We love the venue and the promoters and we normally get a good size crowd. We haven't played there since June so hopefully there'll be a good turn out. I'll blog about it on Monday...

15 Comments:

Blogger lryicsgrl said...

Great post.
Welcome back to your home.

I've been corresponding with Geoffrey. I haven't received my cd yet. I am so bummed. He sent me another, over a week ago. I still haven't gotten it.
It's Thanksgiving Day here in the USA. I'm thankful that this is one holiday a year I DON'T HOST.
So I am nice and relaxed, reading the blog and having some coffee.

I love this post. It gives the reader a keen insight to a young band and the hard work (that they love) it takes to make "it".
Me, not being any sort of musican, didn't realize that strings get cold! Maybe you should invent that heated guitar case!!!
So could you communicate with your little bro?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a nice little package from the UK over the weekend, i'll keep you posted.

x
Susie

4:13 PM  
Blogger AlianaDrex said...

Hi Sam- Antiques fair and a childminder....Sounds like heaven too me. Did you find any wonderful antiques?
I bet the show was great, broken strings and all. A heated guitar case sounds like a hell of a plan.
Talk to you soon.
Ali

7:09 PM  
Blogger Ticharu said...

Cool times for you! Those are the kinda gigs you'll remember.

Great story about Weller...

After listening to the way The Vibrants lay it down I had a feeling you'd enjoy Beat The Dutch. Like I said, I was 'inspired' by the way you guys play, so I've been writing a set of 'rock 'n' roll' in that vein. Hopefuly I can find a rhythm section to keep up!

7:52 PM  
Blogger Mark T said...

Hi Sam, Jill and myself will be at The Halfmoon on Saturday. Make sure you bring one of your CDs as I want to buy one. See ya! Mark

7:59 PM  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

Sam my darling cabana boy...

Missed you at my fondue tasting, however I did notice you "were back in London"!! There is a really hot guy I want to hire as another cabana boy. He is the far left in that photo! Ask him for me.

OK Cheeky girl here! Sorry couldn't help myself. Yes had a lovely time at the first party and got pretty puncy at the second. AHH family...they always love you no matter what because they know they have to cause they can't get rid of you lol!

Cheers dahlin'
Molly

11:54 AM  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

No I meant you dear LOL. You are killing me with the innocent posts. Your drummer will just not do! LOL...kidding again. You however are the one and only Cabana Boy!

Are you going to the Basement Jam on the 4th December at Rachel's?

12:50 PM  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

By the way...I speak French! But DON'T Tell your brother!

12:51 PM  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

oui oui, je parles francais!!

1:03 PM  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

Veuillez pardonner mes faiblesses en francais! I am out of practice and for now je parle tres peu le francais. I am however more flient in Spanish! lol Entiende?????

1:10 PM  
Blogger AndyW said...

I've had vacations like that also. You eat, drink and have a good time but you never really relax.

The story about the broken strings rings true for any guitar player. I've had some strings last for days and days and had others that break after one or two really good whacks.

Cheers,
AndyW

2:13 PM  
Blogger AlianaDrex said...

Sam,
I didn't know you were Welsh. I am writing a book in which the characters move to Wales. I could use a little help on detalis if you have a minute. If so please e-mail me (the address is on my profile page.) Thanks so much!
Ali

6:21 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Hi Sam,
great pics from Manchester show. Cat S (photographer), she takes great photographs, I believe she photographed Mikey in Southend.

We're having a long weekend in the States with Thanksgiving. I've got some recording to do today. Trying to decide if I should take my guitar with me or not. I read a story about Noel Gallagher going on holiday without one, and running down to a music store to buy one because he had an idea for a song. I think I will take it. I think I will be inspired seeing parts of my home town.

Getting excited about our trip. We'll be online as our hotel room has internet access and I'll have the laptop with me. Will see you on the 4th hopefully.

Good luck with your gig at the Halfmoon tomorrow, say hi to Mark T and Jill from Crawley if you see them.

Cheers mate.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

Hey Cabana Boy- Got your 2 CD's in the post today. Will have a listen in the car as we are headed out to get 2 last Christmas gifts!

I will let you know how MUCH I like them later.

Cheers,
xxMolly

10:47 PM  
Blogger lryicsgrl said...

Got CD today.
Yeah!

Rockin tunes...

5:56 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

I hear you guys (spinal tap inflection) "Kicked Arse" last night, says my mate Mark T.

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home