Monday, November 28, 2005

Halfmoon

That's more like it!

We played at the Halfmoon in Putney on Saturday night. This is home from home for us so it was great to play there again. Soundcheck was a bit dodgy though. We found out the Steve's bass guitar isn't 'shielded'. I have no electrical knowledge so I don't really know what this means but what I can tell you is that it made an awful high pitch buzzing noise. Apparently it was because he was standing right by a load of electrical equipment, compressors and limiters for the PA system. So Laurie and Steve had to swap sides to stop the problem. Swapping sides made it better but there was still a buzz. Cheap copies hey! It's not actually a cheap copy. He got Wunjo Guitars to make him a special bass from scratch in the style of a 70's Fender Jazz. He got it made to look old too.

Anyway. We took longer than we should have done for soundcheck. After soundcheck we chilled out in the pub, had a beer or two, a bite to eat and waited for people to turn up. It's always the worst part because your anxious that you get enough through the door. At the halfmoon, we always get enough people, we just want to fill the place and please Carrie and Steve, the promoters, because they've helped us out in the past. If we fill the place we get a nice bit of cash too that goes on rehearsals etc.

The place started filling up and we went on stage at 9:30pm. We walked on to Beethoven (I think)!! I don't know what that was all about! Giles must have arranged it. I decided to keep my coat on for the gig. Last minute decision. I started to regret it in about the 3rd song. I must have lost about a stone up on stage!!

The Set:

New Way, Devil in Me, First move, Run Aground, Beauty, All I Need To Know, Bullet, Do It For Me.

We crammed a good set into half an hour. I tried to get on with things and minimize the muckin around between songs when I think Giles wanted to chat. Giles took the piss out me a couple of times about my hair and my jacket but it's all part of the show. He was like a man possessed on Saturday night. Great performance. He stepped on the mic lead on the last song so his vocal cut out. But stuff like that didn't matter on the night. On Tuesday in Manchester, maybe that would have thrown us along with the string breakages, but on Saturday the whole package seemed to work.

After the gig I met bloggers Mark and Jill and I had my photo taken with Mark after several attempts! I kept closing my eyes! Mark and Jill, I really appreciate you coming to show and I hope you can come again very soon! Mark has written about the gig on his blog. Click Here!

in December we're doing 3 gigs at venues we've never played at before. Should be interesting! Hopefully they'll be successful and we can round off a great 2005!

22 Comments:

Blogger AlianaDrex said...

Sounds great! I wish I could see your show live, you should record some bits and post it. So, until then, I am waiting for your CD to arrive.
Thanks for offering to help on the book. I just have a few details I need to check. You don't have an email listed, will you drop me a line at bohemian_princess@bluebottle.com
Thanks!
Ali

1:21 PM  
Blogger AndyW said...

Glad the gig went well.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Ticharu said...

I bought a cheap bass a couple months ago. Same problem. I gotta friend that knows guitars inside out, builds them & repairs them, so I just left it in his care.
I'm gonna have to get hooked up with your CD and give it a review on my music blog.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Mark T said...

Hi Sam, well my ears are still ringing and it's now Monday evening. Don't remember them ringing this much since I saw Hendrix. I ordered your CD off of your website last night, but thanks for thinking of us. Hope to come down to the gig in Worthing on 7 Dec. It really rocked Saturday night. Mark

8:18 PM  
Blogger Delbut said...

Hi Sam. We met at the Bedford. i'm the bloke from Bridgend. We had a chat about football. Swans are still top!!

ANyway, i have posted a blog today which should make you feel at home.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

He Sam, sounds like an excellent gig. Mark T mentioned you might be playing on Dec 7th and that the four of us might be able to come and see the gig. If you're going to be at Basement Jam we can get all the details I'm sure.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Ever heard of this blog?

http://www.saidthegramophone.com/

I bet they would love and play your stuff. This blog was featured in Wired mag as a cool place to find new sounds. There are a couple of cool songs on there now:

Joe Beats - Coxcomb Red
Exploding Hearts - Throw Away Style

10:09 PM  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

I am sooooooooo jealous Mark and Jill saw you before I did, but as they are good friends I will not hold it against them! LOL

I am back..kind of sick still but back. So sweet of you to wish me well my cabana boy! NOW WHERE IS MY DRINK?

The CD: LOVED IT! I like the 1st and the 4th songs and they are very UTAH! I could put those on the radio here when a local station introduced new artists. BUT my question is...why are there only 4 songs on the CD? I thought it would be more than that. I bought one for my best friend Tracy as well and offered to pass them on to radio shows to Geoff. So is your CD more songs and these are the promotional ones or is this one just a 4 track? Let me know babe!

LOVED the photos over on Marks.....Stunning eyes you have!

XX-Lady by the Pool waiting for her drink!

7:33 AM  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

Diet Coke! LOL

I DID LIKE IT!!! LOTS! I just wanted to hear more!! I have it on my MP3 Player as well as in my car right now! You guys are hot and rock!!!

11:11 AM  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

DINO is your NEW NAME now for the comp you are on.

Come on How can you NOT have MSN? Everyone has MSN...even my old comp from years and years ago had it! LOL

10:43 AM  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

How were you able to log in the other day? to the chat? I am SOOOO deleting these! LOL

10:44 AM  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

Sam just email me. My email is over on my profile. LOL Your blog looks like I am talking to myself ROFL

10:55 AM  
Blogger AndyW said...

Sam,
If you get a chance you need to post the "gratuitous guitar player pics of his gear photo".

5:24 PM  
Blogger AndyW said...

Sam,
Thanks for the input on my guitar track. I need to write the lyrics now. But maybe I'll lay down a base and drum track next. Who really knows. Maybe I should just shut up and play my guitar, as Frank Zappa said.
Cheers,
AndyW

3:53 PM  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

Well if you can make it I know lots of bloggers would LOVE to chat with you during the Basement Jam show! Hope to see you then!

6:53 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Morning Sam,
sorry we didn't meet up at Pete and Rachel's show the other night, it was a bit crowded. Hope you were able to attend.

We are planning on having tea with Mark and Jill tonight and driving down to Worthing to see you. Looking forward to it.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Mark T said...

Hi Sam, thanks for the post on my Blog advising that the gig was cancelled. We aim to come up to Bethnal Green tomorrow, can't promise at this stage but will definately try to make it. I will ask Gary if can make it tomorrow when he gets here in a short while. Thanks again for letting us know. very thoughtful of you. Hope to see you tomorrow. Mark

5:48 PM  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

PEEK A BOO!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

RIGHT ON...in referance to your comment over on mine..

I am sorry you got cancelled! Hope they all can make it to the next one, especially before Gary leaves the country!

No rush to get back into the blogging thing. I think I do it so often because it is a kind of therapy lol.

Thanks for your sweet words about my grandpa. Yes he was a very very neat and great man! I hope to be like him!

Take care I have to jet!
Molly

12:27 PM  
Blogger AlianaDrex said...

Hey Sam. I answered you on my blog, so go check it out when you get a minute.
Ali

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home