Tuesday, December 13, 2005

2 Weeks

...Without a post. What's occurring?

Not a lot really. That's probably why I haven't had anything to write about. I haven't been near a computer much or when I have been near a computer I have other non-computer things to do. What in this world could possibly be non-computer related? There aren't many things these days.

On Saturday 3rd December, I went back up to Manchester with Giles. We didn't do a gig or anything like that, we just went out. The best nights always seem to be the ones when you get out of your town/city, forget about everything and just enjoy yourself. There was a club in Manchester in the 80s that was very popular. It was called the Hacienda and it spawned many well known bands and DJs. It closed down and the venue is now flats. A friend of ours, Oli Wilson decided to give the Hacienda a new lease of life and on that Saturday, 2000 people packed in to a room and danced the night away. It was a good night out. It's not normally my thing. I never went to raves and I don't buy or listen to much dance music. I used to say that if it didn't have a guitar in it, it was sh#t. My views have changed slightly.

I came back on the Sunday with a massive hangover.

We rehearsed on the Monday. We didn't jam any new stuff or anything, we just tightened up our set ready for the next couple of gigs. On Tuesday night, I went to Swansea to watch the football. We won 2-0. We're top of the table!

Wednesday night we (the band) were due to play at Club East in Worthing. Worthing is on the South Coast near Brighton. I woke up on Wednesday morning and looked at my phone to see I had two or three texts, 2 missed calls and a voicemail. All before 8am! I looked at the texts first. They were from our manager, Geoff. The first one said "Gig tonight is cancelled". The second text message said "Gig is back on". Then I listened to the voicemail and it was Geoff saying "Sam, we're not doing the gig tonight". So that was it, we didn't do the gig. The rest of the day the promoter was ringing Geoff begging us to do the gig. Apparently there would have been 200 people there. That night we all went to the Eel Pie club at a pub called The Cabbage Patch in Twickenham. There was this 18 year old kid called Andy Cortes playing with his band. What a talent! Great guitarist and a great voice. He was billed as the new Jimi Hendrix but I felt it wasn't as rock as that. His style was more soul, jazz, funk. Universal have already snapped him up.

Thursday night we played at a venue called The Pleasure Unit in Bethnal Green, East London. We turned up to soundcheck at around 6pm. The venue was nice and small, but not too small. The stage just about fitted the 5 of us. There was a big pillar at the front of the stage, right in the middle that got in the way of the view. Mark T and Jill came and saw us again and Gary and his wife Stephanie also came along. Cheers for making the trip! Hope you enjoyed the show. I don't want to see those CDs on eBay, OK?

We enjoyed the gig. It was pretty loud as none of the amps were mic'd up. It was very much 'plug in and go'. I don't have a problem with this. It's how we rehearse and only bad workmen blame their tools. I broke a string (again) on the last song. At the end of the gig, my brother took my guitar from me to put it in its case and showed me that there was blood on it! Then I looked at my hand and noticed I was bleeding. Brilliant! I was hitting the guitar pretty hard on the last song.

Our next gig is back in East London on Wednesday 21st December at a club called 333. It'll be our last gig of 2005.

11 Comments:

Blogger Mark T said...

Hi Sam, I thought the one of you with the sweaty face was good. BallerinaGurl will like it. really enjoyed the gig as did Gary and Steph. I certainly won't be selling the CD on e-bay. I'm a hoarder and keep everything I get. We can't make the next gig as I am out with the guys at work for the night having a drink and curry. Lots of social things to go to before Christmas. Most of them boring. Will definately get to see you guys again in the New Year. Mark

11:41 PM  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

I saw your CD on eBay...just kidding!

Bleeding, a place called EelPie (any relation to Pete?) and text messages about your gig off and on...what is going on? All I ever asked for was my drink, and I am still waiting by the pool. No wonder it is taking you so long to get it for me. All these detours and distractions. Sheesh!!

I have done a rave or two in my time..but that is another story. Perhaps an email LOL.

Hope to hear from you soon!

XXMolly

10:12 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

This was a very special evening for us Sam. You guys were amazing, and so nice in person.

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas, and the New Year holds lots of exciting stuff career wise for you and the boys. Thanks again for signing my CD (I won't part with it), will continue to spread the word about your band.

Cheers.

3:02 PM  
Blogger AndyW said...

Sam,
Sounds like you're having fun these days. I hope to see you guys here in the US in 2006 or I'll just have to find a way to get over to England to see you guys.
Cheers,
AndyW

3:02 PM  
Blogger AlianaDrex said...

Hey Sam! Good call, I loved the movie. You now top my list for good recommendations.
Speak to you soon,
Ali

8:45 AM  
Blogger AlianaDrex said...

I was thinking that I should have bought the dvd instead.
Ali

5:44 PM  
Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

Hey Cabana-Thanks for the comment. Have a blast with your Dad! and Happy Birthday to him from the Lady by the pool! LOL

We will miss you! Take care!

XX-M.

7:40 PM  
Blogger AlianaDrex said...

Hey Sam! I was checking for a new post...I guess I'll check back later.
Ali

6:58 PM  
Blogger Marietta Zervou said...

UGGGGH!!!!

Looks like I'm going to miss your gig again, tonight Wed 21/12/05.
:o(

I will check your website again soon, so I can catch you in 2006.
Hopefully I'll see you in the near future!
Would love that!!

Have a lovely Christmas and a prosperous New Year, full of success!!!!!

xxM

1:12 PM  
Blogger AlianaDrex said...

Have a great show.
Ali

8:14 PM  
Blogger whatever said...

Sam, hope to see you stateside before too long.

All the Very Best in the New Year. Happy 2006!

Peace
oxo Seychelle

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home